Ages 2 Years to 6 Years, 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday-Friday
Montessori for Toddler, Preschool, and Transition Kindergarten
A Montessori curriculum focuses on the below key domains:
- Freedom of Movement: Absorbing a broad understanding of the world through hands-on materials, the children move about freely, choosing their “work” with responsibility and freedom.
- Sensorial Activities: This area of learning is scientifically designed to develop, refine, classify and grade the stimulation that children receive through their senses.
- Mathematics: Learning begins with the child’s use of concrete materials such as numerical rods, sandpaper numerals, counting objects, fraction puzzles and many hands-on math games for number relationship, sorting, matching, the four mathematical “operations,” and place value.
- Language: These activities are organized in a sequential manner to follow the natural language development of the child.
- Science: Through our hands-on materials the children learn to match and sort objects and pictures of living/non-living and plant/animal.
- Geography: The children are introduced to the earth’s globe, the world “they live on,” and learn about land and water forms through floating miniature boats on a miniature lake, gulf, etc.
- History: This subject is introduced through the concept of time measurement with timing devices for 1 minute, 2 minutes, to 1 hour.
- Art: Our children gain the skills to express themselves with crayons, watercolors, tempera paint, clay modeling, collage gluing and many other kinds of materials.
- Music: Music is a natural part of the daily classroom routine in the form of rhythm, instruments, dancing, singing, and finger plays.
- Physical Education: Since young children are meant to “move” and to practice bodily control with their very active minds, they soon learn to control their large and small muscles.
Dr. Montessori found that young children thrive in a mixed age setting, without competition and comparison to each other. At our school the children are mixed in ages from 2 to 6 years.
Children from the ages of 2 to 6 years of age may enroll at Wonderland Montessori. Maria Montessori’s method of education has been used successfully with “average” children as well as the gifted, the academically challenged, the emotionally disturbed, and the physically handicapped.